Saturday, March 19, 2011

What did you do??? NATIONAL QUILTING DAY !

I decided that a jelly roll quilt would be fun even though I wouldn't be in a race. I don't happen to have any jelly rolls so I set about cutting from a very random selection of my stash 20 lights and 20 darks. I tried to think of the important pop colors like red, yellow, black and pink to keep it from being boring. I stitched them end to end and then started stitching the long sides together.

This is round two, still looks like a big pile of strips. The first two rounds are the longest.

This is round three, and it is starting to pick up speed. Keep in mind that this doubles each time (2, 4, 8, 16, 32). This is a really good starter quilt and very good a practicing the quarter inch seam.

Round three and almost done. This is a very fast quilt project and I had all kinds of interruptions from my family who just don't understand the impact of the day.

Last round, that's right four rounds is all it takes to get this top done. I went with putting one light and one dark when I started and I tried not to get to compulsive about which colors were next to each other. There was enough contrast between all the colors so even like colors didn't run together to badly.

This is the finish quilt top. Isn't that amazing? I could have made two if I really needed or wanted to but (family). I need to think of a border for this quilt????? It does look very scrappy, and I would love to see what a planned color scheme would look like. If I needed to come up with a quick gift this would do it. I also think this would make a great activity for a guild, or a fund raiser. I hope I wasn't the only one who had a great day and was able to enjoy the National Quilting Day their favorite way. Happy Stitching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment